Taco Bell, Wendy’s, and Chipotle are profiled in this report with a goal of pinpointing when their business or strategic planning sessions are held. Based on the news articles sampled, Taco Bell appears to hold its planning meetings in Q3 and Q4, while Wendy’s is more focused on Q4; Chipotle appears to have meetings throughout the year based on a steady stream of significant announcements in each quarter.
- Taco Bell announced in July 2020 that it would be revamping its menu to optimize it for popularity and prepare for a fresh new wave of offerings beginning in 2021.
- In August 2019, Taco Bell announced it would be cutting its combo menu in half by September.
- In December 2019, Taco Bell announced its upcoming menu changes for the coming year, including adding more $1 menu options.
- In December 2018, Taco Bell announced its $5 Cravings menu that would be live in 2019.
- Fries were added at Taco Bell in January 2018, signifying a last-minute menu addition.
- Based on the pattern of announcing changes in the second half of the year (to take effect later in the year or in the beginning of the following year), Taco Bell appears to do its business planning in mid-to-late summer.
- In late February to early March 2020, Wendy’s launched breakfast items for the first time.
- The breakfast menu was announced for nationwide rollout in September 2019.
- In February 2019, Wendy’s launched its new line of cheeseburgers.
- In January 2018, Wendy’s announced it would be expanding its 4 for $4 deal.
- In December 2018, Wendy’s made an announcement that it was making a major change to its beef sourcing plan.
- Based on the pattern of making menu-related or strategic announcements in September through December and launching products on the menu in the beginning of the year, Wendy’s appears to do business planning in the last quarter of the year in preparation for the following year.
- In January 2020, a menu revamp was announced by Chipotle to help it continue its sales momentum through the year.
- In September 2020, Chipotle announced it would be offering its carne asada again for a limited time.
- In May 2020, Chipotle showcased its customization app.
- In November 2020, the first digital-only Chipotle restaurant was announced and opened.
- A new restaurant design was announced by Chipotle in December 2019.
- In March 2019, Chipotle announced it would be offering more vegetarian items on its menu.
- With a wide range of strategic and menu-related announcements taking place throughout the year, Chipotle appears to hold business planning meetings on a regular basis rather than limiting them to a particular time of year.